Intro to studio lighting with Grace Gray

Learn how to use the

Studio Lighting Equipment

with the wonderful model GRACE GRAY

Whether you want to get more serious about professional studio photography or you want to expand your current lighting setups, this workshop is meant to give you an introduction to the different types of basic lighting equipment. You'll come away with enough knowledge to shoot alone in a professional photographic studio.

Lighting equipment can fall into one of three major categories: the light sources themselves, modifiers that control the spread of light, and grips or stands that support the lights.

Light sources


Professional studio light sources generally fall into two categories: a kit with flash heads and power pack or a monolight kit.

A head and power pack kit consists of the flash head and a small power pack that acts as the generator that supplies energy to the flash head.

Monolights, on the other hand, are compact substitutes for a power pack/flash head combinations. Their size limits their power, but they are often desired for their portability.

Having all the controls on the power pack makes it easier to change the settings of multiple flash heads in one place quickly. Instead monolights come with the controls built directly into the light itself.


Head/power pack kits also offer faster flash durations than monolights, which can really come in handy when you want to freeze action during fast motion. They also have faster recycle times.

If you’re shooting outdoors or with complicated modifier setups, you are going to need a lot of power to overcome the sun or the light loss caused by the modifiers. Head/pack systems have a big advantage in the power department. Whereas, if you’re shooting indoors or inside your studio, monolights will probably be more than enough for regular work.

Most lights, regardless of the brand or model, provide heads that come in the form of a strobe surrounded by a reflector. Some, like the Profoto Acute/D4 flash heads, come with a zoom reflector which slides and locks at your chosen position allowing you to further control the spread of light.

If your flash head does not come with a zoom reflector, you can find many types of wide or narrow reflectors sold as accessories. Wide reflectors produce a larger pool of light and a softer light quality, narrow reflectors produce smaller pools of light and a harsher light quality. Most strobe lights allow you to completely remove the reflector and attach different kinds of light modifiers.

Light modifiers

The most common types of light modifers are umbrellas and softboxes.


Reflecting umbrellas produce a diffused and soft light due to the larger size of the reflecting surface. They are mounted in such a way that the strobe light is actually facing away from the subject or model. There are silver-lined, white, and gold tinted umbrellas.


Softboxes on the other hand are usually square or rectangular. They are lightweight boxes that come with a reflective inside and a translucent front. Softboxes come in different shapes and sizes and are attached to the front the strobe over the light source. Light emitted from the strobe head gets reflected inside the walls of the softbox and diffused through the box's translucent front creating a soft, but more focused light source illuminating the model or scene. The difference between reflecting umbrellas and softboxes is that the spread of light with a softbox is more contained.

Some other tools that control and modify the quality of light are barn doors, snoots, and honeycomb grids. These are attached directly to your strobe head by mounting to the reflector that comes with (or is bought for) your strobe, as discussed above.

Snoots are conical shaped tools that narrow the distribution of light.


Barn doors are flaps surrounding a strobe that can be opened or closed to control the light and prevent it from spilling.

Honeycomb grids, as the name suggests, are basically honeycomb shaped metallic grids that direct the light for a more focused spread. These come in different degrees. The smaller the grid cells the tighter the holes through which the light travels, and in turn the more focused the light becomes.

Flags are another type of light modifiers. A flag is any kind of opaque object placed in the way of light to better direct it, to prevent lens flare or to prevent it from spilling. A semi-translucent flag is called a scrim and is used to cut down on light spill.


GripsGrips and stands

Stands and grips are used to support your light sources, strobes, and even light modifiers or backdrops.

There are two main types of light stands: lightweight stands and C-stands which are more heavy duty. Both types come in varying sizes, lengths, and prices. Heights can usually be adjusted. Sandbags can also be attached to weight the stand and better stabilize your lights.

C-stands are very good, but they comes at a price. They are heavy duty and very stable and they are frequently used in the video industry due to their durability and stability. C-stands can come with a number of attachments like boom arms that can be mounted onto the stand.

Requirements :

It is not important which camera you will bring along with you and we are very keen to welcome film cameras whether it is a 35mm camera or a medium format camera.

We will provide you with a RF trigger to work with the studio flashes in our studio if you don’t have your own.

No need to worry, just bring your creativity and your passion for photography!

Summary :

Time : from 6.30 pm to 10.00 pm

Price : £ 45

Places available : maximum 8 people

Model : Grace Gray - link to model profile